Monday, February 17, 2014

QotW: "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up." ~ Vince Lombardi

Quote of the Week: "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up." ~ Vince Lombardi

So this morning I went to weigh myself. I was excited. I had been following my diet (aka not binge eating, and eating relatively healthy), I had been exercising every other day, despite having one of the most stressful and work-heavy weeks at school and work in least a year. I even had to pull an all-nighter (which I used to use as an excuse to binge). Before an all-nighter meant coffee and energy drinks, sugary sweets to "keep up" the sugar high and hyperness, and lots of soda in between. I was so proud of myself that this all-nighter went by with only two large cups of black coffee, a few low-calorie snacks, and no sugary sweets. 

So yesterday, after a long hard week I decided it was OK to indulge in a little dessert from my Valentine's Day gifts. So I did. I had one of those large Reese's Hearts (totaling 720 calories in case you were curious), after which I had a very light veggie-only dinner, and followed that up with 90 minutes on the elliptical (usually I do 60-70 minutes) to "make up for it" since I felt kind of guilty.

And today, Monday, my weigh-in day, I got on the scale and.... nothing. My weight did not budge even .1 of a pound since last week.

Now logically, I know that there could be many reasons for not losing anything. Stress can make you retain water, so maybe that's why. Maybe the sugar from the treat I had made me bloat since I've been very good about not having too much sweets. Maybe in my attempt to "undo" the dessert, I overdid it on the elliptical and am retaining water because my muscles hurt. Maybe I just really really need to poop. Who knows? I logically know I've been working hard, and that one treat won't undo an entire week of good work.

Emotionally, on the other hand, I'm crying and screaming and throwing a fit. I can't believe I let myself indulge. Why would I feel I deserved a treat? I'm not skinny yet. I could have worked harder this week. I start to doubt my healthy eating. I start to feel defeated. I think many of you know this downtrodden, depressed feeling. I feel hopeless. And, since most of you know I have quite the emotional eating problem, I feel like digging into a tub of cheesecake filling and giving up.

I know I can't give up. Despite the negative emotions running through my head, I need to stick to logic and positive thoughts.

This week's quote is a way to try to inspire me to look past the number and keep on doing what I know I've been doing right.

Do any of you ever feel like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment