Monday, December 20, 2010

TIP 3: 20 slow minutes

Time for a Pop Quiz?


Ohmygosh, its midnight, and im starving! I know that if i don't eat, i might overeat at a later time- and with worse food, but at the same time, i don't want to ruin my great day! Help! I have this in my kitchen:
A) one whole wheat sandwich thin (100 calories) + natural peanut butter (210 calories)
B) a banana (105 calories) + a red delicious apple (90 calories)
C) three mandarin tangerines (135 calories, at 45 calories per fruit)
D) a piece of string cheese, reduced fat (70 calories)

Which would be my best option for a midnight snack?

"A" has 310 calories, "B" has 195 calories, "C" has 135 calories, and "D" has 70 calories.

if i go solely based on calorie count, D would win....BUT if i'm going to be awake for a few hours (and knowing me, i will be), which will keep the evil "hungry" monster away while not ruining my day's hard work?


"A" has peanut butter- an excellent source of protein! and protein keeps you feeling full longer than other types of calories.

"B" has two different flavors and textures...both are fruit, which as a food group is known for being healthy. additionally, apples are known as a "negative calorie" food- a food that takes more calories to digest than it actually contains. furthermore, it will take me longer to eat than option A.*

"C" has the benefit of being a "finger" food in the sense that i can peel and eat it with my hands, instead of just cutting the skin off quickly. it will take time to eat.*

"D" has the least calories, cheese has protein, and it's also a "finger" food- and i can take forever to eat it if i want, by peeling really really slowly and in small bits.*

*TIP 3: it takes approximately 20 minutes for the body to register that it is full, which means you can stay feeling hungry for up to 20 minutes, even if you physically are satisfied.

weird, right? that sucks for those of us trying to lose weight. drinking a glass of water before and/or after you eat, and providing a SET portion for yourself to consume, and waiting a half hour before deciding to eat again, can all help. just knowing that it takes you that long to feel full can really make you understand what's going on in your body.

plus, remember: you're training your body, it will take approximately two weeks for your body to adjust to any change in diet or routine. 


So which of the options above is my best bet?


Answer: D, the string cheese!

However, all of the options are very healthy snacks. What made my decision for me is the fact that i will not be up for more than two hours or so. I want my body to have the chance to burn off the 70 calories before i go to sleep. That way i can burn more fat in my sleep! (more about this in a future post)

Just another whale,
MyzzLyzz


P.S.- Although i'm sad Ada lost, im pretty excited for the next season of the Biggest Loser! Starts January 4th, and my posts will include some tips from the show! :)

4 comments:

  1. im a senior in HS i weigh 210lbs and by prom (may26) i want to lose 40lbs do you think thats realistic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. anything is possible with hard work! but make sure to limit your weight loss to 2-3 pounds every week max. thats the healthy limit. (the first week youll lose more, but thats because your body is losing water). it also depends on how tall you are. and everyone is different.

    it definitely sounds possible. ;) good luck! hope i can help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a teen mom :) age? 16 height? 5'0" I went to the doctor resently and I am 50 pounds over weight :( and if I want to look "good" he said I'd have to lose even a little more than that.This is really worrying me! Is it possible to lose that much weight by this summer ? I really want to wear a swimsuit! even if its just a onepiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its possible to lose maybe...30-40 by summer. being a mom is busy and stressful, but do your best. dont get discouraged.

    good luck :)

    ReplyDelete