Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tip 33: forced portion control

Portion sizes. They can be an intimidating part of a healthy lifestyle for someone new to tackle.

How much of this? How much of that? How do I remember all of this information?!

If you’re like me, living a hectic lifestyle, you don’t have the time to sit there and measure out everything at every meal.

So today’s tip, which aims to make life easier!

Tip 33: Forced portion control

Click “read more” for some awesome time-saving tips to get you on the right track with portion control!

The trick I use most is prepackaging my food. While my hands are busy putting food away for the next day (or week), it helps keeps me from munching- which is an added benefit!

For breakfasts, I place premeasured amounts of cereal or oatmeal in sandwich bags and stack them in a drawer or a shelf, easy access to just pour in a bowl or mug for breakfast. For the most part, I do this once a month, and then store the clean used bags and reuse them the next month (saves the environment and your money too).

For meals, I use small glass containers or plastic ziplock containers (remember not to microwave plastic!). I spoon the correct amount of food in and stack it in my fridge (or freezer). For a lot of meals, such as those with cooked veggies or pasta or cooked meat can be kept from 2-3 days in the fridge (longer in the freezer) so you can cook and pack only once or twice a week, depending on your needs.

For snacks, I use 100 calorie backs bought from the store, or precount pretzels and put them in sandwich bags. I also cut fruit and put it in containers to bring along to class as a snack. For the most part, I do this once a week or every other week, and then store the clean used bags and reuse them the next time (saves the environment and your money too).

Other tips:
- make sure while measuring you look at the serving size of any snacks.
- try to keep any meal to no bigger than about the size of your fist. 
- other specifications, such as specific number of cups or ounces you should eat of any food can be found online. CLICK HERE for Web MD's portion size page- it's really helpful! :)
- you can spoon treats like frozen yogurt or sorbet into cups and store them in the freezer, so if you decide to have dessert, its a forced small portion
- prepackage fruits/veggies in freezer bags in their correct portions for smoothies so you can just grab, blend, and go
- look at the labels when you buy!!! i can't stress this enough! yes, those "diet" meals in the freezer aisle may look good, but are they every actually as yummy as they look? uhhh usually not! and often they're way higher in calories than if you had made the food yourself. when you make your food, you have absolute control over what you put in. plus, you avoid all those preservatives. those prepackages meals may be good in a pinch, but avoid using them as your everyday go-to!

Honestly, all the time spent prepackaging my meals is way worth it! I stick to the meal size I put in my containers, and having preportioned snacks in my bookbag keeps me from munching on fatty foodstand goodies between class.

Just Another Whale,
MyzzLyzz

No comments:

Post a Comment