Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tip 44: Take the stairs!

When did we become so reliant on elevators? They used to only be used by the physically handicapped, injured, or people carrying very heavy things. So when did the average person decide to skip the stairs, day after day, in favor of the elevator?

I know I am guilty of it. I take the elevator in most normal situations, or the escalator. Why? I think it's because the stairs are "out of the way" and the elevators are front and center, and labeled with large signs.

Ever since I started my weight-loss journey, I have been making an effort to take the stairs as often as possible. It gets my heart pumping throughout the day, and is a calorie-torching way to tone my legs! haha

Tip 44: take the stairs!


Taking the stairs has been hailed by the New York times as the "economical gym membership" (click HERE for the article). It is a free gym! Stairs are everywhere, the mall, apartment buildings, work buildings, and often in your own home. My own home has 2 sets of stairs, and my dorm building has 9 sets! Oh, and living on the 5th floor is a plus, its enough of a hike up the stairs to get my blood pumping, but at the same time I'm not completely dead by the end.

For me, taking the stairs, one step at a time (literally), has improved my fitness level. Two years ago, I was huffing and puffing, and practically dieing by the end of 2 flights of stairs. Nowadays, I can easily go 6 or 7 flights without stopping, and without dieing!

And for college students like me in a dorm, the stairs have some added benefits. If you choose to use them like a gym (i'm saying getting dressed and literally just running up and down for 60 minutes straight), they are often very empty. Not to say college students are lazy, but most prefer the elevators. haha. Stairs are also free, something college students love!

Whether you live in an apartment or a dorm, you should definitly make it a habit to take the stairs daily. Even if you're focusing more on dieting than exercise, the stairs are a good way to boost your metabolism in little bursts throughout the day.

So, you may ask, how do I do it? How do I force myself to take the stairs, day after day, when they might be out of the way, and the elevator just looks so inviting and convienent? I pretend the elevator doesn't exist. I just pretend there's a wall there. That may sound kinda silly, but it works for me. I only use the elevator when I'm carrying something heavy, or I'm wearing high heels. That's my rule and I stick with it.

So next time you're looking to burn a few extra calories during the day, or looking for a free workout routine, turn to the stairs, and give your weight loss a step up! (I know that was kinda corny, but I figured it might make some of you giggle.)    :)

Just Another Whale,
MyzzLyzz

3 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I think, for this current obesity epidemic is the over reliance on energy saving gadgets (OK so escalators and lifts perhaps cannot be described as a gadgets - but you get my drift!)
    Recently I went to visit a possible new office on the 1st Floor of a building - the guide insisted on taking the lift!! Thought I was mad when I suggested taking the stairs!!!
    Love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe thank you! it is pretty sad how reliant everyone is on technology to do things for us.

    ReplyDelete