Friday, February 11, 2011

Tip 22: Don't let others get you down!


Going to the gym can be really intimidating, especially if you're overweight or have never been to a gym before.

I personally have a huge fear of going to the gym at my school for one big reason: college girls (and boys) can be cruelly judgmental. Girls likes twigs taunt and snicker at people like me. Last semester, I witnessed two girls snicker at a heavyset man running outside as he passed by. Despite the iPod buds in his ears, I could tell he noticed. And I could see him clench his teeth. Poor guy. If I could go back now, I would chase him down and tell him that I'm jealous of the courage he has- the courage to go outside and run in public, surrounded by his thin peers who have never understood his struggle.

But I know that even outside a college environment, gyms can sometimes be intimidating and scary places- instead of the health fostering friendly place most of us ideally hope for.

Being new to a gym can also cause alot of nervousness. Getting a tour of the gym, and maybe joining with a friend can help ease the nerves.

Luckily, most gyms are friendly and pleasant places to be. So...


Tip 22: Don't let others get you down!


Click read more for some great tips on how to deal with mean-spirited people at the gym.




10 Easy (and funny) ways to deal with mean-spirited people at the gym*:
10. Ignore them! turn the volume up on your iPod or tune into the TV and pretend you don't hear them. They'll get bored eventually and move on. And you can feel like the better person by not being obnoxious back to them.
9. Just remember what you're working towards.
8. If you go to the gym during a particularly busy time- where theres a lot of people that make you uncomfortable, switch what time you go to the gym. Or, join a class and stand in the back. If you're not comfortable with working out in a particular place, then you'll be less likely to go. you might get discouraged and give up altogether. and that would NOT be good!
7. You can inform management of anyone being particularly nasty. Chances are, a good gym doesn't want a hostile environment for their customers. If you're not the only one that has a problem with a particular person, joining together can also help.
6. Throw curse words at them in your head. (Don't do it out loud! haha that could have bad consequences for you!)
5. Imagine them fat. They probably used to be fat.
4. "At least I don't dress in my underwear at the gym. Yuck! Like I WANT to look at your greasy body in a bra and shorts that could pass for underwear. Put clothes on like a normal person."
3. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you had to be a jerk to go to this gym, my bad!"
2. "Oh, I didn't know you were the fat people police!" ... " I think you should start by arresting yourself."
1. "At least I'm working on my weight... I could be sitting on my couch at home stuffing twinkies in my mouth while watching a 12-hour marathon of Law & Order."

I'm only half-serious, as you can tell. (I'm referring to numbers 6-1 by the way) Haha!

Personally, #10 and #1 are my favourite. And the ones I think about if I see people staring at me on the treadmill.

People have no right to make fun of you, ever. You are working to be a healthier, fitter person. Nobody should tease you because you're taking action.


Fyi, I personally recommend a YMCA for anyone looking to join a gym. There usually is not an overabundance of young people there to judge you, and people are very respectful. (This is in my own experience) If you're female, theres also plenty of female-only gyms where you won't have the additional worries of having men stare at you, make you feel embarrassed, or intimidate you. Find a gym where you feel comfortable. :) Good luck!

Don't let ANYONE ever get you down!!!

Just Another Whale,
MyzzLyzz


*I just wanted to mention that these 10 tips were written to be comical. Obviously, being fat is nothing to laugh about. But let's face it- we tend to laugh at others who make fun of us. its our way of deflecting their meanness back onto them. the POINT is to not let it get to you!

1 comment:

  1. very nice blog,helpful tips ,im geoff i have a weightloss blog as well http://geoffsweightloss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete