Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tip 25: don't get too saucy!

I love ketchup. I used to eat ketchup everyday, and on everything. I'm exaggerating less than you might think. I would use ketchup as pasta sauce, put it on toast instead of butter, top my pizza with it, and drown everything from chicken nuggets to shrimp in it before i would eat them. I used to go through a bottle (approx 64 ounces) every two weeks or less. Thats a TON of ketchup!


Tip 25: keep the condiments and sauces to a minimum


As innocent as it seems, condiments can be sneaky little additions to your diet, and before you know it, you've eaten 100 calories more than you intended.


Click "read more" to see some common condiment calorie counts, and some easy switches to cut calories!




Calorie counts in common condiments (per tablespoon)*:
- Ketchup, 15
- Honey Mustard, 10-70
- Barbecue sauce, 30
- Mayonnaise, 90
- Maple syrup, 52
- Sour Cream, 45
* these are averaged estimates based on my research, and verified with at least 3 sources
- see other calorie counts by clicking here

Cutting down your condiment and sauce use to a minimum can effortlessly cut hundreds of calories every week!

There are also some great low-calorie options out there. For example, spicy brown mustard has 0 calories. Thats a great way to add flavor without ruining your diet!

I now only buy small bottles of ketchup, and try to keep it to a bare minimum. Instead of have ketchup with a side of chicken, I make sure I have chicken with a teaspoon of ketchup drizzle for flavor. I also use calorie-free mustards as my major source of condiment flavor. It took a lot of getting used to, mustard is much spicier than the sweetness of ketchup, but it was well worth it!

Just Another Whale,
MyzzLyzz

1 comment:

  1. I know many folks who look at ketchup as a serving of fruit. I used to be one of them, but now I use salsa instead. It is good with every meal and provides fruit and vegetable serving each time. Spicy salsa is my favorite - try it.

    ReplyDelete